Re: Surging control

Tim O'Connor

Earl

I suggest this wonderful Yahoo group: repowerandregear

Tim O'Connor

Not quite prototype, but still a problem with models of this vintage.

A few of my locomotives suffer from severe surging when running down grade. I just had two derailments on a 2% down grade and 48" radius curve (HO) when the train piled up against the locomotives and the first few cars in the train were shoved off the track.

These were Stewart units that are otherwise very good running units. I know the answer is to put bushings in the drive mechanism to take up the slack. Does anyone know of a web site or other information source that discusses the details of this surgery?

Earl Hackett
Modeling the C&O in 1952