Re: Maine Central have PS-5 gondolas

Richard Hendrickson

Larry Kline writes:

I asked (on the FC, STMFC and MEC lists):
<<Did Maine Central have PS-5s? I can't find anything for the Maine Central
except for the 12100-12122 series of 52ft 6in gondolas. These cars have
dimensions that look OK, but my 4-74 ORER indicates that the series is new
or that the number of cars has increased. They don't appear in my 10-70
ORER. I don't have any ORER issues between 10-70 and 4-74. 1974 seems too
late as a built date. Were these PS-5s? Did MEC buy them as used cars?>>

Ian Cranstone replied on the FC list:
I believe these were the former VTR 1000-1024, built by P-S in 1957. They
first appeared in the January 1974 ORER.
Larry, you apparently missed my reply pointing out that I have a photo of a
car in this number series and it was a war emergency composite gondola with
steel sheathing replacing the original wood, obviously acquired second hand
and probably from the NYC.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520