Re: Flat car underbody question

mcindoefalls

Tim,

While standing and operating the typical height layout, no, but the center sill, brake rods, tank, and cylinders can be seen when viewed from track level. That's the angle from which we usually photograph our models, from the point of view of a scale person standing at trackside. In that case, things like the trainline, some brake piping, and the minor crossbearers are NOT visible and I'd say that these are the parts that Richard refers to, not the entire underbody.

Walt

Walt

Can you see the center sill of a box car when it is on your track?
I've seen a lot of layouts, and I'm safe saying that on 95% of the
layouts, it cannot be seen by an adult standing at trackside.

There is such a thing as the logical implication of a statement.

If for example, I say that I am flying to Cocoa Beach, you probably
would conclude that I am traveling on an airplane and have not grown
a pair of wings. You draw such an inference without a second thought.
Why do you suddenly develop an inability to make an inference about
the phrase "invisible when the car is on the track"?

Tim O'Connor

At 12/5/2011 01:00 PM Monday, you wrote:
Richard said, "In my opinion, it is pointless to model underframe details which are invisible when the car is on the track. . . ," NOT "it is pointless to model ANY underframe details." Certainly his statement does not say, "leave it all off, including the center sill."

Walt Lankenau