Re: Flat car stake pockets, was: 1925 C of G Flat Car Survives

Pieter Roos

Hello Jim;

Can't answer for everyone, but for me the number of stake pockets is one of the spotting features of a flat car, like the rib/panel count on a gondola. Also like the ribs on a gondola, the stake pockets often influence the positioning of the lettering, which makes a wrong count really stand out. "Structural" features may not be so important, if they aren't visible. I'm not overly concerned if the number of floor stringers on a house car is wrong, for example.

Pieter Roos
Connecticut

--- In STMFC@..., "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:

Pardon me for a basic question.

In modeling, why do we rivet counters care so much about the number of stake pockets on a flat car? They are not a structural car part. Easily changed on models by modelers, although never changed by the prototype roads.

The greater modeling challenge is getting the side sill profile correct. Overall length, heights, and taper. Proportions. With a believeable complement of rivet lines.

This question comes from trying to get a B&O flat car produced by manufacturers, or adapted from an existing product. I have been howled out of the room by modeling peers for even suggesting an otherwise decent model as a potential B&O prototype, only because the number of stake pockets was one off. I am still smarting. Ten or eleven stake pockets? Big fat hairy deal.

John