Re: Early Steel Hoppers & Carnegie Steel

Eric Hansmann

I check Shorpy a few times a week to review the images. I especially enjoy the Pittsburgh images as I grew up not far from the Burgh and made many trips into and through the city to visit extended family members and to attend sporting and entertainment events. The recent Lucy Furnace image made me wonder where it was located. Shorpy offered the barest of details, but I found the complex on a Hopkins Plat map that covers that portion of the city. Here's the map:
http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?view=entry;cc=maps;entryid=x-20090513-hopkins-0019

And a TinyURL for the same page in case there are problems with the above link.
http://tinyurl.com/82zh4kb

The Lucy Furnace is located at the top left portion of the map. Note the pink area of the map just below the Lucy Furnace complex and across the Allegheny Valley Railroad tracks. This area is marked American Bridge Company. Just click on the map to zoom in. The main American Bridge plant was in Ambridge, PA further downstream on the Ohio River, but this is a smaller operation possibly situated to take advantage of the nearby steel producing facility and the vibrant railroad.

The next plat downstream reveals more heavy industry near the Lucy Furnace.
http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?view=entry;cc=maps;entryid=x-06v03p27

And a TinyURL for the same page in case there are problems with the above link.
http://tinyurl.com/7rtk8un

Note one of the industries is the McConway & Torley Company. I believe this firm still makes railroad industry couplers in the present day, but possibly in a different Pittsburgh location. Across the tracks from McConway & Torley is the H.K. Porter Locomotive Company. There are many more details to enjoy on these maps. I only wish we had some steam era images of the nearby yard so we could see the freight car variety that served this end of Pittsburgh.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
New Paltz, NY

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John C. La Rue, Jr." <MOFWCABOOSE@...> wrote:

It is obvious that the American Bridge cars are camp cars; an interesting but by no means unusual example of camp cars owned by a contractor as opposed to being owned by a railroad. Data on privately owned camp cars is very hard to come by because they were not usually listed in the ORERs and the owning companies had the only records. Old photographs like this one are often the only remaining record that such cars even existed.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL