From: soolinehistory <destorzek@mchsi.com>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 15, 2011 11:15 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: What was a wheel stick used for?

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Fred,

The stick you mentioned used by brakemen to tighten brake wheels were known as "brake clubs". Brakemen used them for leverage to turn the brake wheels when manually applying the brakes to control the speed of a car when cars were being flat switched or coming off the hump. These clubs were made of oak, approximately 24 inches in length and 4-5 inches in diameter.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware
"4-5 inches in diameter"? That's kinda big to get one's hands around. I always figured that brake clubs looked like cut off sledge handles... in fact broken spike maul handles likely were a prime source of material.

Dennis