Re: Digest Number 7138

Jedalberg

In a message dated 12/15/2011 7:27:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
STMFC@... writes:

The stick you mentioned used by brakemen to tighten brake wheels were
known as "brake clubs". ...... These clubs were made of oak, approximately 24
inches in length and 4-5 inches in diameter.

RE. "4-5" in diameter". Actually more like a baseball bat, with slightly
flat sides--the business end is about 2-1/2 x 1-1/2inches. (I am looking
at it). I keep it as a weapon. I probably shouldn't say that as I may now be
listed in the TSA. I remember them still being used at Enola in the late
'70s--and having to use one to help release a handbrake when we were getting
ready to move some cars during a strike. You had to be very careful, as
if the thing released quickly, the club could break your arm--if it was in
the way.

Jim Dalberg