Re: Roaring Rails

MDelvec952

I caught this film as well. The plot and story are typical of the time, as was the acting. That Ten Wheeler 2276 is similar to SP 2248 in service in Grapevine, Texas, today. The tank engine pulling the side-dumps on rickety track was terrific, as were the scenes showing the Santa Fe BX-0s. There were places were models were used in the wreck scenes.

What I always enjoy while viewing films of this era is that the context of life and railroading is real for that era (except for all of that make-up). This was filmed in 1924 when steam and that passenger consist was typical of the day, as were the freight cars. This story references World War I in about the same reference of memory as we would, say, the George "Dubya" presidency.

....Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@charter.net>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 15, 2011 11:33 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Roaring Rails

The film was more melodrama than railroad. However, there were several AT&SF Bx-Os in evidence. Also steam shovel and dump cars. It appeared that the film was shot both on SP and Sante Fe trackage. The view of the drivers was of a much earlier loco than the long shots. Road names were painted out on the tenders.

The boy, Frankie Darro became a silent star billed as “Darro”. He appeared in a famous film, Wild Boys of the Road. He never grew and played jockeys on the take for a decade. He was inside Robbie the robot of Forbidden Planet fame but was fired for being drunk on the job. He appeared as late as the late-1950s in Have Gun Will Travel, his good looks decimated by drink. – Al Westerfield

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.