From: Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@charter.net>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 15, 2011 11:33 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Roaring Rails

The film was more melodrama than railroad. However, there were several AT&SF Bx-Os in evidence. Also steam shovel and dump cars. It appeared that the film was shot both on SP and Sante Fe trackage. The view of the drivers was of a much earlier loco than the long shots. Road names were painted out on the tenders.

The boy, Frankie Darro became a silent star billed as “Darro”. He appeared in a famous film, Wild Boys of the Road. He never grew and played jockeys on the take for a decade. He was inside Robbie the robot of Forbidden Planet fame but was fired for being drunk on the job. He appeared as late as the late-1950s in Have Gun Will Travel, his good looks decimated by drink. – Al Westerfield