Re: Freight Car Surprise in Boston Harbor

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi All,

I do believe that the old narrow guage RB&L was incororated into the
Boston Rapid Transit system. I do not recall the date. A tunnel was
built from the end or near the end of the RB&L into Boston ending at
Bowdoin. I have ridden this line when going to Logan Airport which is not
the end of the line.

Joel Holmes

Bill,

The BRB&L was the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn, a narrow ga. RR IIRC.
I can remember taking the ferry for 10 cents to cross the harbor in the
early 1950's.
Wonder how many recall Federal Yard, running tangent to Commonwealth pier,
and
the A street yards of the NH? Up to the 1970's there were about a dozen
PRR M60b's
stored along the waterfront where the old car ferry slips were located.
Thanks to whoever
posted this photo, some of it brought back some great memories !

Fred Freitas