Re: Left Opening Box Car Doors

Todd Horton

Sorry Ben, I guess I'm still asleep. I missed the "steel" part of that e-mail. :-)  Todd

________________________________
From: Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Left Opening Box Car Doors

Joel Holmes asked:
"Hi All, I was told of a model of a 50's or 60's steel box car with left opening

doors. Does anyone know if there were any real left opening steel box cars
buil[t]

in this era?"

Do you mean BUILT 1950-1960, or still RUNNING 1950-1960?
If built, the answer is no steel "left-opening" steel boxcars were built
1950-1960.
If running, there remained a significant number of PRR Class X25 general service
boxcars in service at the beginning of the decade; however, their numbers
dropped off sharply in 1952-53.  These cars were built during World War I.

Todd Horton wrote:
"Joel, I know the Lehigh Valley had some cars with a single left side door
opening."

Doesn't answer the mail.  These were all double-sheathed cars.

Ben Hom