Re: WM hoppers

Larry Kline

The summary of hopper classes is available at:
http://www.alphabetroute.com/wm/1972FrtDgms/Summ-Hop.pdf

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

On Dec 20, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Larry Kline wrote:

The WM had five types of hoppers in the 1950s. There were two types of channel side hoppers, fishbelly hoppers, and two types of triple hoppers. The channel side hoppers were similar to USRA hoppers but the side stakes were channels. The fishbelly hoppers had sides that dropped below the end sills. The triple hoppers were two standard Bethlehem Steel designs.

I just made a folder in the photos section called "WM hopper info" and sent 2 tables. One shows ORER counts vs time from 1939 to 1959. The second is a list of hopper diagrams from a ca. 1971 WM diagram book. The diagram book summary page gives the car types (HM or HT), the built dates, builder, and builder order number for the various hopper types. The older channel side cars in the 16500-21179 series are not listed because they all had been retired when the diagram book was issued. They were rebuilt starting in 1927 from hoppers originally built in 1916-17. When built, these cars had hat shaped side stakes.

The tables are waiting for moderator approval.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

David Thompson wrote:
Anyone know of a comprehensive source of info on Western Maryland steel hoppers? I have a rough idea of what they had over the years, but there are some gaps I'd like to fill in, particularly after World War II.