From: Andy Carlson <midcentury@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] In praise of 0.005 styrene

Jack Spencer gets great results with varying thicknesses of Mylar. .003" -.006"
sheets are commonly used by him.

Myself, I like using the RC item self-adhesive "Monocote Trim", not to be
confused with heat-shrinking Monokote. The trim is .003" plastic film with a
peel-off paper backing, and is very good at taking rivet impressions. Comes in
almost any color imagined, except light gray was not available when I made my
last purchase-I settled for white.

I have had excellent results bonding .005" styrene to styrene by applying small
amounts of Testors solvent glue to the area of the field with which you intend
to place the .005" overlay. Wait for the solvent to flash off, then place your
thin .005" plastic piece in place. The amount of residual solvent makes an
excellent bond. Doesn't fall off, even when used for patterns and removed from
the mold.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA