Re: Patch panels, was: In praise of 0.005 styrene

Bruce Smith

Jerry, Barry,

I do not know about other railroad's practices, but patch panels on the
PRR's cars were most definitely NOT applied under the regular side
panels. They were applied over the existing panels and stood proud of
those panels. Yes, I realize that this creates a ledge which can catch
water, but that is the way it was done. So at least for my PRR cars,
the decal/foil approach is absolutely appropriate and in my experience
creates a slightly more realistic look than the pencil line.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

<jerryglow@comcast.net> 12/24/11 8:00 AM >>>
I agree with Barry's recommendation. If Greg Martin and others who
followed his advice for simulating weld seams works, this should too.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Barrybennetttoo@... wrote:

All this discussion by various of you misses one significant point.

The repaired body panels overlap the patch panels at the bottom, as
the
patches are inserted UNDER the repaired body panel, not attached over
them.
Consequently, the panel edge faces DOWN, using decal patches etc
would give
the effect of them facing UP.

To get the correct effect using decal paper etc you would have to
decal the
body panel leaving the repair patch undecalled.

I just draw a fine line with a pencil, take a sharp blade and straight
edge
and cut a fine line with the blade angled away from the bottom of the
car
side. This causes a raised edge at the bottom of the panel which
after
painting and weathering gives the impression of the overlapping panel
edge.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England