BLI New York Central System Box Car Models

Richard Hendrickson

Mine were just delivered via UPS this afternoon, and after looking
them over carefully, I can say that I am very well pleased with how
they turned out. In addition to the NYC cars in post-WW-II form,with
Murphy rectangular panel roofs and steel grid running boards, they
are also offered (correctly) with Boston & Albany and Peoria &
Eastern lettering. The car bodies are accurate and well detailed,
with both corrugated and Dreadnaught ends well represented, and the
problems with running boards, doors, etc. that were discussed last
year on this list have been corrected, except that the lateral
running boards still stand too high and leave the outer running board
supports stranded in mid-air - a problem that's easily solved. Free-
standing grab irons and steel grid running boards are delicate and
close to scale, as are the sill steps. Air brake equipment is well
represented, but the brake rods slant upward at their outer end well
short of any problem of interference with the trucks and wheels;
again, this is easily corrected. I'll change out both the wheelsets
(replacing code 110 plastic with code 88 metal) and the couplers
(Kadee scale couplers for plastic #5 clones), but YMMV. These models
have been a long time in coming, but are definitely worth the wait.
Built in numbers almost as large as the Pennsy X29s, they went
everywhere on the North American rail system and most of them lasted
through the '50s and into the '60s before being retired. Most of us
will want several.

Richard Hendrickson