Re: BLI New York Central System Box Car Models

Richard,

Thank you for the info re BLI boxcars.

I suspected that folks such as you, Terry and others were involved after I read the post from Ben Horn.

As I just told Tim O'Connor, the establishment of a Modelers Committee by the board of the NYCSHS is a step in the right direction. Another giant step is the e-zine edited by Noel Widdifield. It can be accessed through the NYCSHS website.

A number of NYCSHS members who, like myself, are model railroaders have lobbied long and hard for a new approach to the model community. The president and the board, much to their credit, have moved forward on this.

Thank you, again, for the post, and congratulations to you, Terry and everyone else who worked on the boxcar project. I just hope that I will be able to find a few for my layout. Here in Western New York we do not really have a well-stocked model railroad store anymore. But that is another issue not relevant to this board.

Happy New Year!

Hugh T. Guillaume

On Dec 29, 2011, at 8:18 AM, mguill1224@... wrote:

I would like to know what sources BLI used to produce the NYC
boxcars. I know BLI did not use any resources of the NYCSHS because
the board would have had to authorize that. So who did the research
and what was used? Not likely that this question will be answered
but it would be interesting to know who provided the research
package for the boxcars. Hugh T. Guillaume
No great mystery here, Hugh. I provided them with a lot of
information and photos, and Terry Link and others were also
involved. Several of us on this list were given the opportunity to
critique pre-production samples, which corrected a number of
problems. At that time, the NYCHS was not involved because the
society had a long-established reputation for being unresponsive to
requests for prototype freight car data, or to requests of any kind
from non-members. That, fortunately appears to be changing.

Richard Hendrickson