Re: CN Stock Cars in the USA

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Steve and Group,

My knowledge of Canadian rolling stock used in interchange around the US is very limited. But the notes taken by James Burke in 1945 at Climax, Kansas, are interesting.

There were three CN cars noted on Burke's list... 481090 and 486797, both 40-foot 10ft-0in IH w/6ft doors... and 574550, a 40ft automobile box car w/ double doors with either a 12 or 13ft opening (going from memory here). All arrived empty on the southbound train and were forwarded northbound to Small, Kansas, because of a facing switching move for the southbound train, where they were loaded with alfalfa. Stuffing bales through those 6-foot doors must have been less than fun.

A couple of comments:
This might be a result of CN box cars being held for loading as you noted.
I do not have any idea of what the unload destination was for the alfalfa.

What does all of this mean? Not a lot in the scheme of things. But it does mean that my Kansas branch line layout will have at least one, perhaps two, CN box cars in the staging fleet to choose from.

Happy Modeling
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Dec 29, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:

Wow! Those must have been some valuable sheep to travel that distance.

Is it possible that CN stock cars were held by US roads in the steam era if needed for loading on their lines? It certainly happened with CN boxcars.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., FRANK PEACOCK <frank3112@...> wrote:

Group, Of course CN stock cars got down to the USA! Or at least one did: CN 171510, loaded at Guelph, Ont. with lambs to Dixon. Cal. (near Sacramento). This was on Nov. 24, 1947 on the LA (Los Angeles Special). The UP must have handed the car off to the SP to get it to Dixon. This is the only example that I have of a Canadian stock car on the UP in 1947-48. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)