Re: Stock car reloading

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Don Valentine wrote:
Your comment raises and interesting point, Bruce, which I have not considered before. The rules for unloading and resting livestock are fairly well known but I do not recall having seen anything on one aspect of such mocvements. Is there anything that dictates what cars the stock must be reloaded into??? In this case, could the CN stock car be unloaded for a rest stop, returned home empty and the stock be reloaded into another stock car to continue their trip????
We've been told in previous discussions that it was very COMMON to reload stock into the cars of the home road doing the resting, and send the foreign empties home. Either way, the reloading cars had to be well CLEANED and with fresh bedding. I would think this might be especially commonplace with Canadian empties in the U.S., unless there was a local car shortage.

Publishers of books on railroad history