Re: Car door sealing - was True Line new "Fowler" pictures

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Don" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Eric" <eric@> wrote:
This view looks north:
http://www.hansmanns.org/images/canton_industry_1.JPG

...what REALLY interests me in the photo is the car door seemingly sealed with some sort of heavy paper. Presumedly this was to keep the lading as clean as possible but other than newsprint what might the lading have been???? I have seen examples of this use of what I presume was a heavy paper for years but never in a photo good enough to post and raise question about. Thus the value of this one to me. In all the carloading manuals I have looked at, or have
acquired, over the years not one bit of documentation of this practice has been found. Blocking for pipes, tractors and such I have plenty of but not doors sealed with paper in this fashion. What do we
(collectively) really know about the practice.
I would have mentioned flour, either bulk or bagged, but since it's been pointed out that the car is at a brewery, most likely malted grain.

Dennis