Duryea Cushion Underframe

Bob Webber <drgw18@...>

If you look here:
http://www.pullmancar.org/pullfreight.htm
and scroll down to near the bottom, you can see a thumbnail of the UF.

At 03:01 PM 12/30/2011, STMFC@... wrote:

Duryea Cushion Underframe

Posted by: "Steve Vallee"

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:17 am (PST)

Dear Group...

I spotted this tidbit that I would like to share with the Group.
On page 65 of the April, 1942 issue of Railroad Magazine, I found this Q&A:

Q)... Publish information about the Duryea Cushion Underframe.

A)... The Duryea Cushion Underframe was first demonstrated at the
Butler, Pa., plant of the Standard Steel Car Co. in Dec. 1927. It
is designed to permit the control of slack and of energy absorption
capacity separately, each to meet the most desirable operating
conditions, without the need of compromise between them. Three
points mark the individuality of the design, namely, (1) a center
draft still capable of restricted movement with respect to the car
body proper, (2), a coupler gear, and (3) a long-travel, high
capacity cushion gear, one each of the latter two at each end of
the car. Shock absorbing devices are provided in car construction
to protect against two principal classes of impacts: those
resulting from surges in train movements, and those caused by heavy
impacts in switching.

The force of an impact at the face of the coupler of a car
equipped with a Duryea Underframe must pass successively through
the coupler, coupler gear, movable center sill, cushion gears, body
bolster, and body members, before reaching the car lading, so that
only a very small part of even the most severe impacts can ever
reach the car lading uncushioned. The resilient attachment of a
center sill, instead of employing conventional rigid underframe
construction, protects body, lading, underframe and trucks against shock.

The B&O was the first railroad to adopt this underframe as
standard for its freight equipment.

Steve Vallee
Bob Webber