Re: Plain -v- Roller bearings (Was-Stock car reloading )

Tim O'Connor

So if your theory is correct that oil heats up with movement,
if I pour a can of oil off a 1,000 foot tower in a perfect vacuum,
the oil will be hotter when it hits the ground?

So far as friction with cold lube, probably less than with hot lube. Cold oil is thicker than warm stuff. It also is quite resistent to movement. Try pushing your car when it is zero and hasn't been moved for some time. And your car has roller bearings. I think it has to do with the cohesivness of the oil. But once it gets moving, the oil will heat up on its own. Probably due to molecular action.

John Hagen