Re: Stock car reloading

Greg Martin

Tony writes in reply:

"Not true at all. Waybills were often altered and corrected. Jerry
Stewart, who worked for years as a car clerk, stated to me that only a minority of
waybills, probably less than a fourth, went to destination uncorrected or
unchanged. The agent only has to insert the
new reporting marks and number. A similar process occurred when perishable
shipments were diverted: the waybill instructions were simply added to or
changed. No need for a new waybill. I have a few in my collection with
additions of various kinds typed onto the bill."

I agree completely with what Tony is saying regarding waybills changing,
that I have no issue with, diversions and reconsignments are a fairly common
and straightforward process. Commodities don't change, car numbers don't
change, ~ destination do change, legal owners change, you ass section 7,
that is simple and common. You're allowed a specific amount before if begins
to even cost you money. However; it is my experience that once a car number
assigned to a waybill it is not easily changed, especially if the car is
pulled from it's origin spot, not saying it can't be done. If you find a
friendly clerk ~ you might ~ get it done without "busting" the bill that person
may correct it for you and if you're lucky, real lucky, you won't get a
charge...

It would be my understanding that once the car number was changed on a
revenue move would be viewed as complete; moving the same commodity on another
car would constitute a new revenue move, thus a new waybill to move the
commodity. Suspending the waybill at that point doesn't seem to make sense.
This is very much like "milling in transit" (in reverse) with the grain
shipments you drop off grain~ reload flour~ same car, same waybill, simply a
commodity exchange. Key here is same car ~ same waybill... AND this intend
was specified ON THE ORIGINAL waybill prior to arrival at destination. This
way the revenue stream is all very well understood in the billing. Remember
in our era much of the commodities moving were doing so over bridge routes
and revenue sharing was involved so the more transparent the intend the
better for all.

There are provisions on all waybills, even in today's highly automated
rail~world, to stop cars for various reasons; trying to change a car number on
a waybilled shipment causes a lot of grief if the car has moved, if it has
not "bust" the bill and start over. I would love to talk to some retired
revenue clerk from the accounting department on this subjects and a couple
of more. Suspended bills do exist, but to what extent in our modeling era I
would love to discover from a retired billing clerk from say, St. Paul or
San Francisco...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean