Re: Stock car reloading

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dan Holbrook wrote:
Waybills could have many notations and changes made to them, including weighing, diversion, icing, new instructions, rates, special requests etc....however, when lading was transfered from one car to another car a new waybill was required to be issued at the transfering location. Thus, if the stock was reloaded into a different car, it would have created a "new" waybill move.
I've looked through almost 800 livestock waybills in my collection the last few days that date from 1954 to 1976 and can find none that shows loading being transfered from one car to another. These are from RI, UP, CBQ, MILW, and GN shipping locations and most are from feeding and watering locations or destination terminals and none have waybill references, which were required when lading was transfered to another car. Changing the initials and number of equipment on a revenue waybill was frowned upon. I never did it and I do not have any waybills in my collection that show the car initial and number crossed out on loaded waybill movements.
Dan is the expert, and I stand corrected.

Livestock could be shipped on transit rates and it was possible when this occured that a car could be unloaded at a feedlot from one car and reloaded into a different car. If this occured there would have been a notation on the waybill showing the previous waybill reference.
I have seen waybills with reference to a previous waybill but none I have seen explained why the change.

Publishers of books on railroad history