Re: Reading USRA Gondola Load

Eric Hansmann

In addition to the load, I wonder when these USRA mill gons were equipped with AB brake systems. A recent comment here noting AB brake systems on less than 25% of the 1940 freight car fleet had me wondering about how quickly the mill gons would be upgraded. Hoppers tended to be rebuilt more frequently and many owners of the composite USRA gons rebuilt with steel sides through the 1930s.

Wouldn't these USRA mill gondolas be candidates for retaining K brake systems through WWII?

Eric

Eric Hansmann
New Paltz, NY

--- In STMFC@..., richtownsend@... wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to load in this car. Anyone?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon