Re: Sandblasting booth...

arved_grass

Rob,

I was introduced to Gunze-Sangyo Mr. Surfacer 1000 about 20 years ago by Dave Hussey. At that time, D&J Hobbies in Campbell (IIRC) CA was the only place in Northern California that stocked it, and they had an extremely difficult time meeting demand - it was often out of stock. Many times, it was only available in spray cans, and we bought what we could when we could, and sometimes had to decant the precious fluid from the spray cans.

Thanks Dave, for turning me onto Mr. Surfacer 1000 (among other modeling techniques).

A word of caution: Gunze-Sangyo paints, including Mr. Surfacer 1000, were intended to be thinned with their own thinner, Mr. Thinner (I just love the Japanese). This is an EXTREMELY "hot" thinner! It rapidly disolves plastics, and flashes of fast. It would make an excellent liquid styrene cement, except that it reeks. Use ordinary lacquer thinner to thin Mr. Surfacer 1000. I use this as a primer for all my plastic models (brass get old-fashioned Floquil Zinc-Oxide primer).

There is also a Mr. Surfacer 500 that's thicker. I use this when I want a thin spotting compound. Paint on, let dry, and sand smooth. A post-it note works well to polish the surface.

Has anyone tried Mr. Surfacer 1200, and compared to the good, old Mr. Surfacer 1000?

I bought an inexpensive blast booth from Harbor Freight. It's not perfect - the interior lighting never quite worked, and I replaced the sand blast gun with a Paasche LAC 3 abrasive gun. I've used the gun for 25 years, and the booth for the last 15 or so, after I got tired of getting the sand everywhere. Thom Anderson was instrumental in showing me the light WRT the advantages of abrasive blasting models.

Thanks Thom.

I've also tried the Paasche AEC-K "Air Erasure" and was less than satisfied. It must be for extremely fine and delecate work. Maybe etching glass? I've never had a problem with the LAC 3 being too aggressive for my HO and N scale models.

Respectfully,

Arved G. Grass
Fleming Island, Florida

--- In STMFC@..., "Bob Sterner" <rwsterner@...> wrote:

Lessons learned from other modelers. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else in the railroad model community has tried either of these products. To me Mr. Surfacer 1000 has become pretty near indispensable.