Re: Reading USRA Gondola Load

Larry Sexton

Todd,

This morning I had time to check my files and the drawing I have is for the S. Morgan Smith Company of York, PA. Notations on the drawing also reference car ACMX 415, and indicate the cars were built in 1921 and rebuilt in 1943.There is also a notations that the PRR would not accept these cars for interchange service after 1955 due to age and fatigue. They had a capacity of 80,000 lbs at that time.

These flatcars were called Saddle Boiler Cars in the 1931 ad where B. M. Weiss of Philadelphia offered 3 similar cars for sale, the cars being offered having been built in 1921. The photo offering the cars showed a car with ASB Co X104 reporting marks and a hand written note referred to the cars as a “runner” car.

I have one in-service photo of ACMX 416, date and photographer unknown. Now that I have copies the photos identified in http://clerk.seattle.gov/~scripts/nph-brs.exe? I am inspired to complete the model of this car and write an article on these cars. That is the beauty of the STMFC discussions. Ask enough questions and you have no idea what others are likely to share. The best thing about the Reading gondola discussion has not only been the sharing of information and some clarification regarding Reading stenciling, but the unexpected accidental identification of additional photos of these Saddle Cars in-service and with a load.

Earlier this morning I contacted an fellow engineering colleague who has contacts that worked on various hydro-electric projects in Washington state. He has contacted them and they have been asked whether there are any drawings for the cast piping loads being transported by the Reading gon and the Saddle Boiler Car.

Given the drawings, I should be able to model those loads. After that I’m certain I can find someone to help with the resin castings (limited production). I mean really, why have gondolas and flatcars unless there are prototypical loads to be transported.

BTW. Please contact me off line if you’re able. I have questions regarding accurate decals, paint scheme and stenciling for the Accurail 41’ steel gondola during WWII period. The Accurail choice of the Rightway stencil doesn’t work for 1943 or for me.

Larry Sexton

From: STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>