Interesting Load

Steve Vallee

Dear Group...

   While looking through the October, 1951 issue of Railroad Magazine, I spotted this interesting load tidbit on page141 that I wanted to share with the Group:

  A train of 14 boxcars loaded with 20,000 boxes of soap flakes and 75,000 cakes of toilet soap---a cargo of 210 tons---rolled over the Canadian Pacific from the Procter & Gamble factory in Hamilton, Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta. It was hailed as the first all-soap special in Canadian history. Banners festooned the train. Edmonton was reported to be in a lather over it.According to the CPR "Spanner," the cars carried enough soap to keep an average family clean 3000 years. However, it lasted some 125,000 Northern Alberta families one month.

  Steve
Vallee