Re: Type D/E couplers

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "David" <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

The type E coupler became Standard in March 1932, superseding the earlier Type D. How long would the type D have remained in service? Was there any recommendation or requirement to replace them on pre-1932 cars? Would rebuilds of pre-1932 cars have received type E couplers? Would broken D kunckles be replaced the taller E knuckle?

David Thompson
The Type D was legal in interchange well after the cut-off for this list... I don't remember the exact year, but until sometime around 1972. As I recall, there were a bunch of pre-D designs that were also still legal that late, and of course many were still in use on non-interchange cars like coaches and cabooses.

I'm not sure an E knuckle would fit a D... the lock parts were also somewhat different.