Re: Taber's GUIDE TO RAILROAD HISTORICAL RESOURCES

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Roger,

A copyright infringement has to be a BIG case for the Feds to care, and even then you can only collect
only proven monetary damages.

The first railroad book I wrote was fully registered with the government. A local newspaper editor ripped
off big chunks to promote somebody else's book in a feature review (the editor laughed at me and dared me
to sue him, when all I asked for was a fair review of my own book). The copyright lawyer I consulted said
legally I had a good case, but any judge would be really pissed at me for wasting his time with such a
petty matter, and I couldn't prove any actual monetary damages. There is no "small claims" procedure for
copyright violations, and cases have to be heard by a federal court. I was completely out of luck.

Copyright law is nice to have as a deterrence, but for the little guy it has no teeth. With my two
subsequent books I didn't bother to waste money on the formal applicaiton.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Roger Miener wrote:

... Especially so if they have gone to the trouble
to have their copyright registered with the Feds -- That's when it
will *really* hurt.