Re: Owl Mountain Models safety vents

Bruce Smith

Don,

He talks about doing it with a P2K 8K tank. I'm talking about a 10K P2K
tank. In both cases, the P2K dome is incorrect, although certainly can
be a stand-in. The correct dome for his tank would be narrower and
taller. For an 8K tank, the F&C is arguably a better starting point,
although there are certainly a bunch of problems to fix there too... at
least the dome is correct ;^)

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"Don" <riverman_vt@...> 01/20/12 7:35 PM >>>
> Is this not what the Owl Mountain website describes doing if you
read the entire site or is it another modification based >upon a P2K
8,000 gal. car?? Great product which I'm glad to see.

Cordially, Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Clark,

Excellent question. Using P2K tanks with these vents is not
completely accurate. Since the type 21 tank had dome top vents, you
need to look back towards the type 11/17 tank and earlier as a place to
use these vents (on an AC&F tank). My current plans are to backdate the
P2K type 21 tank by removing the side/top seams/rivets and adding
vertical/radial courses and archer rivets to get 10,000 gallon type 11
and type 17 tanks. The F&C tank will be modified with archer rivets to
make an 8K type 17. Additionally, the type 21 dome is shorter and has a
larger diameter than the earlier domes so the dome area will need to be
filled and new, more appropriate domes built.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Jan 20, 2012, at 9:01 AM, cepropst@... wrote:

I did look at the website. Great product, but is it possible to fit
those parts on P2K or IM tank cars?

To save wise guy remarks, of course they will fit. But, are they
appropriate? In other words, what reporting marks and numbers would be
accurate?

I'd love to be able to put them on plastic tank cars.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa