Re: 2nd run LL 50' flat cars

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:

No lettering info for the 1940 CGW lot eh?
When did CGW change lettering schemes?
Richard replied:
We don't know that they did. The problem is that we don't know that they
didn't, and L-L is understandably reluctant to issue models with p/l based
on speculation.
And I can understand why! If its not available, I'll strip a car and
repaint it, but if its wrong, I'll likely as not, not buy it (at least not
right away, and not for full price...I might buy it on sale as stripping
fodder). My closest hobby shop (50 miles) has a shelf full of P2K flat
cars with the little "this scheme may not be prototypical" labels on
them...course, he's shutting down in a few weeks as he is moving "up nawth"
(to North Carolina) so I'm waiting for the Going out of Business sale to
snap them up <G>.

What might be some good roadnames for 53'6" AAR 50 ton flats transporting
goods (especially military cargo) on the PRR in 1944? (I have one each of
the NKP and CNW from the 1st release). The NKP and CNW flats are
transporting M3 halftracks and Shermans respectively from the Detroit
Arsenal to New Jersey for shipment to the European theater. Of course, as
Richard pointed out in part of his note that I snipped, flat cars were
snapped up...I've got a picture in a book of a Southern flat car being
loaded with Shermans in the Detroit Arsenal.

Of course, in I do have some other classes of flats, like PRR F30A and FM
cars, and a Norwest C.P. 336260-Series Flat Car (yeah, I know...the car
service rules say that's not supposed to happen...except that there is a
nice photo in the Signal Corps archives of CP308063 in Newport News
http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/VTLS/SC/02/085.jpg - I wonder how it got there?
<G>). I know of the Red Caboose (NYC prototype right?) and the Tichy
flat...any other good prototypical models out there? Is there going to be
one in the Marklin U.P. series that would be appropriate for '44?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center