Re: axel end caps, spray painting

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 22, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Jon Miller wrote:

I have a commercial styrene wheel mask for keeping
the paint off the treads (spraying). However the axel
ends are not masked. Short of something applied to
each end does anyone know of a cap (silcone,
rubber, etc.) that is available to just plug on each axel
end?
Jon, in my experience the commercial wheel masks don't really keep
all the paint off the treads, so I still have to clean and polish the
treads. I do this by chucking each axle end in a jeweler's lathe (a
Dremel tool in a stand would work equally well), spinning the
wheelset, and cleaning and polishing the tread with a mildly abrasive
typewriter eraser on which the point has been trimmed to a shallow
wedge shape. I then use the same eraser to clean the end bearing on
the opposite end of the axle before I reverse the wheelset and apply
the same treatment to the other tread and bearing. Takes only a
minute or two per wheelset and the result is polished bearings as
well as polished wheel treads.

Richard Hendrickson