Re: Gritty paint

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., richtownsend@... wrote:

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

As for those who say it would be out of scale, I agree that in HO scale much if not all of the characteristic foundry casting texture would not be visible. However, I believe there are situations were some out-of-scale texture is appropriate. How else could we convey the difference between something that is rough and flat (i.e., flat-painted) and something that is smooth and flat? For example, the stucco texture on the side of a building would be all but invisible in HO scale, but if we want to convey "stucco" in HO we have to go out of scale...
But the texture of stucco is 50 to 100 times larger than the surface of a casting. Even though the mold is made of sand, it is as smooth as a plaster wall, and unless part of the sand has broken away during the pour, the surface of the resulting casting is almost as smooth. Stucco, on the other hand, is applied to the wall by slinging it off the trowel, and sometimes adding swirls with a stiff brush.

What says casting to me, more than anything else, is fillets, because foundrymen know that sharp outside corners in a sand mold won't hold up, so every inside corner of the pattern has a fillet applied, often made of wax so it is easy to fit around curves. I personally think the best way to finish an HO scale model of a casting is to paint it with thick, goopy paint that fills all the inside corners, thereby modeling the fillets, then dust the still wet paint with talcum powder to kill the shine and give just a bit of surface texture.

Dennis