Re: CC&F tank car article in July RMC

Richard Hendrickson

Okay all you TARTS (Totally Anal Railcar Truck Spotters), what exactly are
the trucks seen under the CN "war emergency" tank cars in Russ Pinchbeck's
article in the July 2002 RMC? Obviously they're spring plank-less
"Bettendorf" U-section types, but are they single-truss or double-truss? I
would think given the built date they'd be double-truss, but I don't see
the "double".
The trucks on the two CN cars are Barber S-2s. Note, however, that those
are very late photos, so the original trucks may have been different. In
the builder's photos, the trucks appear to be AAR with spring planks.
Neither type is of double truss construction, but the development of the
double truss sideframe design in the mid-1930s wasn't followed by universal
or even widespread adoption of this feature.

Also, aren't Mr. Pinchbeck's numbers for ACF Type 27 production a bit low,
say, by a factor of ten or twenty? He says they only built "more than
1,800 8,000 gallon and more than 750 10,000-gallon Type 27s." Sounds way
low.

Perhaps not. I'm sure Russ had access to the AC&F production records via
Ed Hawkins, and those numbers seem about right to me if we're talking
pre-WW-II production of ICC-103s (remember that a lot of tank cars built
during the 1930s were specialized types of different sizes).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520