Re: Suitability of Foreign General Service Flat Cars on Line

Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>

Tim wrote:
<SNIP>General Service Flat Cars like Boxcars were free rollers, reloaded and
routed to consignees with little regard to the direction of the home
road. This was most pronounced during WW II, but continued on until the
1950's. Just about any General Service Flat Car could show up on any
road. During the War, the War Dept. was not too concerned with whose
flat car carried what piece of equipment.
Great points Tim!

So what I need to do is look at the national fleet and use those numbers
with perhaps a slight bias towards home and local road cars if I want. I
am correct in thinking that Canadian cars should be relatively scarce
within the US, and really should only be used for loads crossing the
border?

Conveniently, on June 16 of this year, Dave Nelson (muskoka@...)
posted the following from the 1950 ORER

(e) ordered ranking of roads for just FM and FMS
road totl Pct. Cum Pct.
SP 5448 9.67% 9.67%
CN 4743 8.42% 18.10%
CP 4199 7.46% 25.55%
CNW 3412 6.06% 31.61%
PRR 2952 5.24% 36.85%
MILW 2904 5.16% 42.01%
UP 2857 5.07% 47.09%
GN 2368 4.21% 51.29%
ATSF 2180 3.87% 55.16%
NP 1869 3.32% 58.48%
IC 1520 2.70% 61.18%
SOU 1474 2.62% 63.80%
NYC 1356 2.41% 66.20%
CBQ 1341 2.38% 68.59%
RI 1250 2.22% 70.81%
LN 1162 2.06% 72.87%
EJE 902 1.60% 74.47%
MP 794 1.41% 75.88%
ACL 738 1.31% 77.19%
SAL 581 1.03% 78.22%
SOO 548 0.97% 79.20%
SLSF 473 0.84% 80.04%
Sooooo, for 1944, what were the most common classes on the following roads
and what are appropriate models for them? For example on PRR I know that
there were around 2000 FM class cars (Sunshine, F&C) and 1500 F30a class
cars (Sunshine, Bowser).

SP
MILW
UP (the P2K car is "based" on a UP car right?)
GN
ATSF

Happy Rails
Bruce