From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thu, Feb 2, 2012 3:29 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Fe caboose window color

On Feb 2, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Andrew Sperandeo wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I responded to Buzz on one of the Santa Fe lists. I don't know of
any documentary or photo evidence for way car window sash being
anything other than Mineral Brown during the service life of those
wood-bodied cars. We all know how dangerous it is to say "never,"
but certainly painting the sash the same Mineral Brown color as the
sides and ends would give the most typical appearance and closest
adherence to the Santa Fe's standards.
For what it's worth, I'll second Andy on this. The photo Buzz cited
shows a caboose on display at a museum, and some museums are more
responsible than others at replicating colors, etc. of the prototype
cars when in revenue service. I'm not aware of any Santa Fe
documentation for painting window sashes any other color than mineral
brown, nor have I seen any photographic evidence to suggest
otherwise. Santa Fe standard practice was to paint everything on
cabooses mineral brown, including underframe and trucks, except that
some cabooses got the roofs painted with the same gritty black that
was used on box cars and reefers to provide secure footing for
trainmen in case they stepped off the running boards.

Richard Hendrickson