Re: Hooker Tank Car Colors/Paint Schemes

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 30, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Jim wrote:

Hi all,

Back in 2008 there was a thread about this. But it doesn't
answer my questions ... ;-(

So is there a 'reference' that covers the 'color scheme phases'
and car types for the Hooker tanks? There are at least 4 (and
probably more) different production models of Hooker tanks. I'm
interested in knowing when the various paint schemes were
introduced and also when the different car types were introduced
(painted for Hooker).
If there is no reference book, online source(s), or other
reference material ... can someone enlighten me on these
questions (I'm willing to do my own research - I'm just hoping
that someone on the list has already done it and has it 'at
the ready' as it were) ...
- Jim
Jim, I'm sorry to be slow in responding to your questions, as they required some research.

Re: paint and lettering. In the 1930s through early '50s, Hooker cars were painted black with white lettering. In the mid-1950s, the orange and black scheme was introduced with a black band at the center of the tank, large white HOOKER lettering shaded with black at the left, and trapezoidal Hooker logo to the right. The earliest photo I have showing this scheme is 1955, and that's probably when it was first introduced, as it was colorful enough to attract the immediate attention of rail photographers.

With regard to car types, the 1/53 ORER shows only two ordinary TM type tank cars; all the rest were high pressure cars of various sizes (3K, 6K, 10K gals.) for liquid chlorine or propane service or rubber lined cars with acid domes of various sizes (4K, 6K, 8K gals) for acid service. With the possible exception of the two TM type cars, there are no models for any of these cars that are even remotely accurate, though the colorful post-'55 Hooker color scheme has prompted several manufacturers to produce foobies.

At present, the tank car sources on the internet are scattered and not very helpful, but there are several very useful books: Ed Kaminski's on AC&F tank cars and on AC&F cars in general, both published by Signature Press, and Ted Culotta's Steam Era Freight Car Reference Manual Vol. 2 on tank cars published by Speedwitch Media.