Re: WFE 68400 - 68649

Bill Welch

I went back to my photos to refresh my memory about these cars and FGE/WFE/BRE practices. First regarding WFE 68400 - 68649 40ft steel refrigerator cars and the Accurail kits there are three small issues.

1.) The Route Card tack board was mounted on the lower sill of the car, the left edge approximately in line with the outer or second row of rivets on the panel immediately to the left of the door.

2.) The small devices mounted on the doors and the side of the car to keep the doors open are omitted.

3.) There are no details representing the fans that were installed, i.e. the usual circular surround protecting the external shaft connection and the control mechanism mounted on the sill.

Regarding the black Placard Boards, I found a few in-service photos showing these painted black. Enough to say it is safe to paint the Placard Boards black on a few FGE/WFE/BRE and NX cars.

Although I wish Accurail had chosen to portray details associated with most other FGE/WFE/BRE riveted hinged door cars built in 1948 and 1949, I look forward to building one of these. They captured very well I think the ends, roof and sides and the sill steps are well done. Great brakewheel!

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Tyrone:

I have yet to see a Builders Photo of these cars and the only in-service photo I have are in the simplified scheme with yellow hardware and the "Ventilator" stenciling omitted. I do have several Builders Photos of the cars build by FGE, WFE, and BRE in the 1947-1949 period and all have black hardware, BC red under the door, and the "Ventilator" stenciling. The "placard" boards were not consistently black.

I hope this helps.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "aaejj2j" <tyrone.johnsen@> wrote:

I am looking for information on the as delivered paint and lettering configuration of the WFE 68400 - 68649 40ft steel refrigerator cars from PC&F. Anyone seen a picture of one? The new Accurail model is shown in a review in the April 2012 RMC on page 82; but the lettering style is based on the 1960 version. What I am looking for is confirmation of the lettering style and the use of black paint on the hinges, ladders, grabs on the sides. In addition, I would like to know if the "placard" boards were originally painted black.
In Great Northern Lines East, second edition, on page 195, you will see similar but not exact cars to the two new Accurail models in their as delivered paint and lettering configuration. This should help to illustrate my question.
Thank you,
Tyrone Johnsen
Rockford, IL