Re: WFE 68400 - 68649

aaejj2j

Bill shared a photo of one of these series cars dated about late 1956-1957 with me for use in my WFE presentation for the GN Society. And if one were to look at the two cars in the Lines East book I refer to below, you would see an example of two cars probably bracketing the delivery of the subject cars and would lead one to a reasonable assumption of how to paint and letter that series for the late 40s early 50s period.
However, one never knows for sure. If one were focused on modeling in the period of 1949 to 1951 and even a bit later and modeling any RR East of the Mississippi River (except the NYC system), the GN, or the CB&Q (and HO) then one might be intersted in the new Accurail car and how to properly paint and letter it. The current Accurail car is lettered in a 1960s style, Bill's picture is a mid to late 1950s style, and I am interested in the earlier style as I focus on September 1950. I generalized here but I assume you can get the idea.
Thanks,
Tyrone Johnsen
Rockford, IL

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:
I have yet to see a Builders Photo of these cars and the only in-service photo I have are in the simplified scheme with yellow hardware and the "Ventilator" stenciling omitted. I do have several Builders Photos of the cars build by FGE, WFE, and BRE in the 1947-1949 period and all have black hardware, BC red under the door, and the "Ventilator" stenciling. The "placard" boards were not consistently black.

--- In STMFC@..., "aaejj2j" <tyrone.johnsen@> wrote:
I am looking for information on the as delivered paint and lettering configuration of the WFE 68400 - 68649 40ft steel refrigerator cars from PC&F. Anyone seen a picture of one? The new Accurail model is shown in a review in the April 2012 RMC on page 82; but the lettering style is based on the 1960 version. What I am looking for is confirmation of the lettering style and the use of black paint on the hinges, ladders, grabs on the sides. In addition, I would like to know if the "placard" boards were originally painted black.
In Great Northern Lines East, second edition, on page 195, you will see similar but not exact cars to the two new Accurail models in their as delivered paint and lettering configuration. This should help to illustrate my question.