From: randy arnold <61mkii@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:22 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] bending brass grab irons

Rob
You might try .008" music wire from Small Part Inc, it holds paint better
than brass and should not break.

Randy

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Anthony Thompson <
thompson@...> wrote:

**

Rob Kirkham wrote:
I'm working on a Speedwitch model of an Erie 70000 series boxcar.
The ladders have relatively shorter rungs, so I am bending my own
(about scale 16" length). Using DA .008" brass wire, I find some of
them break at the bends as a result of metal fatigue.
No, they're being deformed beyond their limited capacity. One
bend isn't fatigue.

While I can bend plenty, so will eventually get enough for the
model, I'm wondering if heating the brass wire before bending will
do anything to make it take the bend with less brittleness?
If it's ordinary brass, yes, softening it will work. Our brass
wire is cold drawn, consuming most of its capacity for further
deformation (which is why it breaks upon your bending it). Softening
fixes that. But it will also give you ladder rungs that are easily
bent out of shape (think floral wire). You might be best off to try
bending a slightly larger radius and just throw away the failures.

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompson@...