Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

I agree 100% with Chuck's well stated complaints with the pre order process.

Add to this the risk of losing you money completely if the manufacturer,
distributor or LHS goes out of business. Stand in line to get MAYBE a small
percentage of your money back if they go into bankruptcy.

I have personally missed out on some Intermountain rolling stock that I
preordered through a reliable supplier when they apparently did not produce
enough to fill their pre-orders. And yes, I had paid for these when I
ordered them months in advance. Eventually I got my money back but even
that took a lot of time chasing down credit card charges to prove that I had
paid for them.

I too will order but not pre-pay for items that have not been reviewed and
commented on by knowledgeable folks who have actually seen them.

I may miss out on something but then this I just a hobby. And there is
always Ebay where about anything can be found from
shops/distributors/speculators do buy stock to sell. Humm, sounds like what
a Hobby Shop used to do. Realistically, this preorder business will
contribute to the demise of the local hobby shops who no longer can order an
item from distributor/manufacturer stock after they have been produced and
will move sales to on-line stores who can stock up by pre-ordering and sell
worldwide.

Allen Cain