Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Armand Premo

I prefer to examine an item before I purchase it.I hate to buy a pig in a poke.Patience pays off,it will shortly appear on Ebay anyway.Armand Premo----- Original Message -----
From: SUVCWORR@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

As a small vendor (not a LHS), I buy directly from two manufacturers and through distributors for everything else. None of them with the exception of brass have ever required a deposit. That being said, I do selectively require deposits on orders. I have been stuck with large numbers of items from individuals who pre-ordered and then declined to accept the items. Usually locomotives. Anything they order now requires a non-refundable deposit. I am sure this is the reason other retailers require deposits. They have been burned too many times with refused large orders. Retailers cannot afford to tie-up cash in inventory that is not going to move quickly. As Bill said, there is a narrow window to move an item before it becomes stale and languishes on the shelf. Every dollar in stale inventory is a dollar not available to purchase the next release.

Cash flow is the name of the game.

Rich Orr