Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Jim Mischke

Sometimes the manufacturer gets stuck. I've been on the other side of this.

For a year, I operated a partnership with two friends called Keyser Car Shops to produce custom lettered B&O freight equipment, possibly much later to grow into tooled B&O car designs. We had about 12 major product ideas, and envisioned cranking out two or three a year. We never got past the first project, a Red Caboose B&O M-26b in "Time-Saver" slogan bright red paint.

We took no pre-orders and only announced when the boxcars arrived. For all the other faults in our business plan (small marketing footprint, no paid advertising, web-based only sales, risking market saturation from the same freight car product in other B&O lettering) and unforseen obstacles (high retail price, mainly due to Chinese inflation and dishonesty), the insurmountable problem was fundamental lack of demand. Previous yahoo list clamor for a particular car appearance means about twenty sales, not 400. We sold 200 and remaindered 200 for a net loss. It was not going to get any better than this. When in a hole, stop digging. We disbanded.

As a consumer, I detest the preorders-only business model, where a new product is gone in two weeks before I can even look at one.

On the other hand, a garage full of unsold slow-selling boxcars is a killer. Bills are paid with seed corn, not sales proceeds. Never mind funding the next project. I cannot imagine a larger company making payroll risking this inventory condition.

The main challenge of capitalism is sizing the business. Like kids staffing a neighborhood lemonade stand, they lose their little shirts if it rains (much unsold paid-for lemonade on hand), or leave money on the table (thirsty potential customers walking away unslaked) if they are underprepared when the sun shines.

While we tire-kickers are fed up with sold-out preordered releases, the economic realities for the producers are stark.

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

The problem is, it is the dealer who gets stuck. The manufacturer has been paid. The distributor has been paid. Neither will take the product back. The customer who pre-ordered declines to take it. The person with the least available cash is stuck -- the dealer. This might not be so much of an issue with a freight car. But how many $500 locomotives can the dealer he left holding that he will likely need to sell at a loss (no one pays retail and most are not even satisfied with 25% off list any more) and stay in business? Thus the need for a pre-order deposit in selected cases -- when burned once. The non-refundable deposit allows the dealer to sell the amount of the deposit below cost and at least break even. Otherwise, he is out of business.

Rich