Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Armand Premo

One thing overlooked is the declining value of the dollar.With Adequate pre release information and appraising the potential market there should be fewer failed ventures.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: jim_mischke
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:49 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Sometimes the manufacturer gets stuck. I've been on the other side of this.

For a year, I operated a partnership with two friends called Keyser Car Shops to produce custom lettered B&O freight equipment, possibly much later to grow into tooled B&O car designs. We had about 12 major product ideas, and envisioned cranking out two or three a year. We never got past the first project, a Red Caboose B&O M-26b in "Time-Saver" slogan bright red paint.

We took no pre-orders and only announced when the boxcars arrived. For all the other faults in our business plan (small marketing footprint, no paid advertising, web-based only sales, risking market saturation from the same freight car product in other B&O lettering) and unforseen obstacles (high retail price, mainly due to Chinese inflation and dishonesty), the insurmountable problem was fundamental lack of demand. Previous yahoo list clamor for a particular car appearance means about twenty sales, not 400. We sold 200 and remaindered 200 for a net loss. It was not going to get any better than this. When in a hole, stop digging. We disbanded.

As a consumer, I detest the preorders-only business model, where a new product is gone in two weeks before I can even look at one.

On the other hand, a garage full of unsold slow-selling boxcars is a killer. Bills are paid with seed corn, not sales proceeds. Never mind funding the next project. I cannot imagine a larger company making payroll risking this inventory condition.

The main challenge of capitalism is sizing the business. Like kids staffing a neighborhood lemonade stand, they lose their little shirts if it rains (much unsold paid-for lemonade on hand), or leave money on the table (thirsty potential customers walking away unslaked) if they are underprepared when the sun shines.

While we tire-kickers are fed up with sold-out preordered releases, the economic realities for the producers are stark.