From: Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>
To: "<STMFC@...>" <STMFC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: tank car placards for models

Tom,

Wrong! (Gosh, I miss the Gong Show) First "inflammable" is absolutely correct English. Check your dictionary. Second, the derivation is from Latin inflammare. The "in" is not the negative equivalent of "un" but rather the preposition "in".

You doctor doesn't say you have an "flamed knee", they say you have an "inflamed knee"... same root <G>

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Mar 21, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Tom Houle wrote:

For many years at least through the fifties, the term "Inflammable" was used
to indicate combustionable material. It was and still is incorrect
English. Inflammable literally means non-flammable. The "in"prefix
comes from the Latin prefix for not. Today we correctly use the term
"Flammable". Preferred use would be Flammable, but it really depends on
the era you are modeling. Pre- 1960, I'd use the incorrect term
Inflammable.
Tom Houle