From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Tim
O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:05 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pre-orders, pro or con.

Exactly, Richard. After being burned a couple of times, I stuck with
dealers (including brass dealers) who knew I would pay for items that
I ordered (it's MY responsibility to know what I'm buying) and I have
never made another deposit for the last 20 years.

As for inventory, it has a cost. If your LHS maintains a good stock,
and doesn't offer deep discounts, I think that is a fair trade-off. In
the long run, paying MORE to get exactly what you want WHEN you are
able to examine it in the store, off the shelf, will cost you less.

Tim O'Connor

One other thing. You should never have to pay in advance if you
cultivate a long term relationship with a well established retailer
who knows you and knows you will pay promptly when the item comes
in. The dealer with whom I have such a relationship is 2,000 miles
away, so he has my credit card information on file. When something I
have ordered in advance finally appears, he just bills my card and
advises me by e-mail of the amount charged and the date the item has
been shipped to me. Why do business with people you don't know and
trust, and who don't know and trust you?
Richard Hendrickson