Re: State of the RPM hobby

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rich Orr wrote:
I think it was the December MR where the editorial referred to a survey conducted by MR which revealed that 6% of modelers were strict prototype modelers. Indeed a small segment of small population.
then Pierre Oliver replied:
I'm very surprised to see the percentage that high.
Surveyors know that when questions are asked which the subject may perceive as having a prestige component, more people will answer in the prestige direction than actually qualify. So I think that MR percentage describes how many people would like to THINK of themselves as "prototype modelers." Just keep in mind Lake Woebegone, where "all the children are above average."

Publishers of books on railroad history