Re: What is Prototype Modeling?

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi Tim,

I agree with you as MRR layouts are always somewhat inaccurate, but can
convey the look and feel of the real thing. Levels is merely a way of
quantifying how close you get to the real thing. Remember, your model
railroad is what you want it to be. Don't knock yourself out trying to
get something you cannot get.

Happy Model Railroading.

Joel Holmes

Joel, I don't know about "levels" or whatever. I have a very
simple definition --

If there is a prototype for your model, and your model is a close
approximation to the prototype, then that is a prototype model. I
don't see any need to put a finer point on that.

There are RPM freight cars, locomotives, structures, and yes, even
layouts. There is even RPM 'operations' in theory, but I have never
seen such, anywhere. I think for most it would be a "fun killer". I
believe most layout operations are the equivalent of Athearn "blue
box" models -- somewhat inaccurate representations that convey the
"look and feel" of the real thing.

Tim O'