Re: What is Prototype Modeling?

Randy Hammill

Good points Jack -

I don't think we 'freelance' or compromise because we use electric motors, etc. And yes, I think your points are valid regarding compromise. There are times when we compromise such as reducing the length of tracks, perhaps number of tracks, modeling the other side of a building, etc.

I guess my point was that to a large degree, 'freelancing' is modeling something that doesn't model a specific prototype. So I suppose when I model a building for which no photographs exist, but I know a building was there is still prototype modeling with the intent of making as close a model as I can with the info at hand.

On the other hand, as many (most?) of us do, I may move an industry from the other side of town simply because I have no other way of including it on the layout. The east side of town should have all of the industries and sidings coming off of the mainline. Instead, because my mainline has to enter the helix, they are on a separate siding and not in a prototypical arrangement.

What about a prototype modeler who models locomotives and rolling stock to a high degree of accuracy, but models towns by name only, without regard to prototypical layout and using commercially available structures? I still believe that if they feel they are a prototype modeler, they are, becvause as I said, the intent is what matters here.

So I agree that there is a difference between freelancing and compromise, at least to us. I think 'artistic license' still leans toward the freelance spectrum. To an outsider there is probably less of a difference.

Randy Hammill
http://newnbritainstation.com
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Burgess" <jack@...> wrote:

Randy stated:
"Each prototype modeler will have their own ideas of how much compromise
(freelancing) is acceptable to them, and in what areas (scenery, track
layout, rolling stock, rolling stock mix, operations, etc.)."

I don't equate "compromise" with "freelancing". I think we compromise when
we don't have the space needed to accurate model a prototype, whether a
building or length of a siding and need to reduce the size of it to allow it
to fit the space we have available. We also compromise when we don't have
all of the information needed to accurately model a particular prototype.
This is especially true of structures...we might have photos of 3 sides of a
building and need to make an educated guess about the other side (which is
not a concern if it can't be seen). On the other hand, to me, freelancing is
simply building something that is not based on a particular prototype. For
example, if someone were to ask me to build a gas station, I'd first ask for
photos of the prototype they want. But, I'm guessing that a freelancer would
simply get started based on their vision of what a gas station should look
like without relying on prototype information.

Have I compromised on my own layout? Of course! Without the space of huge
empty warehouse for my layout, the length of yards have been reduced,
sidings are shorter, towns closer together, and a few (not many though)
buildings have been reduced in size from the prototype. While the scenery in
some areas is modeled directly from photos from land contours to the
placement and types of trees and bushes, other areas are "representational"
and reflects the scenery typical to the particular area being modeled.

What I don't agree with is the position that we all freelance to a degree
since our locomotives have electric motors, our couplers have springs, our
trucks are held in place with screws, etc. Those are inherent compromises
due to the size of our models and the desire to have them operate. They do
not represent freelancing...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com