Re: What is Prototype Modeling?

Armand Premo

IMHO it is easier to model a smaller road or branch than a mega road.Distances between towns and facilities are easier to replicate.For instance Paul Dolkos' former layout.A small road would have shorter trains,mixed freight etc.Can you imagine a milk train charging up Sherman Hill.Some of the southern roads are also easier to model.I will await the barrage<G> Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Brock
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: What is Prototype Modeling?

Jim Betz writes:

"However - if you do adjust the numbers of car types on your
layout I predict that you will quickly -create- a problem. Because
the number of cars of any one type, on any -one- layout ... should
be determined by the industries modeled and not based upon some
era-specific numbers."

I suppose one of the more attracting elements of the hobby of RPMing is the
variety it offers. Certainly Jim's comments apply to some RRs that might be
modeled...from an obscure RR in northern Vermont to some similarly obscure
RR in Wyoming...like the Coalmont branch of the UP. In both cases it MIGHT
be true that a significant amount of traffic on the RR was either originated
or terminated there. On major trunk line RRs...particularly in the less
populated west...like in Arizona, Montana or Wyoming...on the ATSF, NP or
UP, very much less traffic was originated and/or terminated on the RRs over
relatively long stretches. Thus, if one were to model the ATSF between, say,
eastern New Mexico and Cajon Pass, by far the great majority of traffic
would have been generated either east or west of these locations. Certainly
in my
case, probably 99% of the traffic [ over Sherman Hill including
Laramie...wherever that is ]
was not associated with local industries and I would speculate that all of
the
major western trunk lines had a similar situation. OTOH, Jim is correct in
noting that the type of industries dictate the frt car makeup on a layout.
In the case of the major western trunk lines, however, these industries are
likely
located off the layout...not modeled but, rather, represented by
staged trains. IOW, traffic on both the Santa Fe through Arizona, New Mexico
and Texas and the UP from Ogden to Kansas City and Council Bluffs was
generated east and west of these areas.

Even in the east it was common for much traffic to be generated east and
west of significcant stretches of a RR. For example, if one were to model,
say, the N&W from Roanoke to Lynchburg, by far the greatest amount of
traffic was generated west of Roanoke [ coal ] and east of Lynchburg [ MTys
from Norfolk ]. OTOH, if one were modeling, say, the Southern from Asheville
to Salisbury, NC, the amount of locally generated and terminating traffic
might be high. The key to this would obviously depend upon the type of
service the RR performs, a trunk line or one serving many small towns and
even cities.

Incidentally, some of are a bit luckier than others in that they [ we ] have
frt conductor books that give frt car population info. We know from that the
general population of frt trains operating in certain areas.

Mike Brock