From: David <jaydeet2001@...>
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sat, Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: BLI's USRA steel car

Craig, the Lackawanna's '20s steel box cars were, indeed, very
close in design to those of the NYC. The big difference is the
ends; the DL&W cars had a unique version of the Dreadnaught end
which was quite different in appearance from those on the later NYC
cars, and AFAIK that end has never been done in HO scale.
What was so different about it? Looking at the photos in RPC 21, the end looks like a typical late-20s 4-4 Dreadnaught, same as on the later NYC boxes. What made the Lackawanna cars different was their use of what seems to be the ARA underframe (reflected in the 2x2 rivet pattern at the bolsters) and the Hutchins peaked roof.

David Thompson